Rugby Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
The game was in their hands and they dropped it, got back to 24-24 and blew it.
Absolutely. To get back to 24-24 after the first half was excellent. To then hand it to Wales on a plate was atrocious.

Wales 100% deserved winners and almost certainly would have won the game without the refereeing help in the first half, however it doesn't detract on how bad the ref was!

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Absolutely. To get back to 24-24 after the first half was excellent. To then hand it to Wales on a plate was atrocious.

Wales 100% deserved winners and almost certainly would have won the game without the refereeing help in the first half, however it doesn't detract on how bad the ref was!

I don't believe Wales deserves to win it but England absolutely deserve to lose.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
In general....
Two things I've noticed that seems wrong.
1. The backs rarely get the ball and when they do, they're standing still.
2. Tackling should be round the hips then slide down. A man can't run without his legs.
I was told this in 1971 in 1st year rugby

Grizzly

Visit site
Wales 100% deserved winners and almost certainly would have won the game without the refereeing help in the first half

Really? They were gifted two tries that should never have been allowed, as well as some very marginal penalty calls. I think there is just as good of an argument that England would have been out of sight and killed the game in that situation.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Really? They were gifted two tries that should never have been allowed, as well as some very marginal penalty calls. I think there is just as good of an argument that England would have been out of sight and killed the game in that situation.

I think it's likely we'd have been out of sight by half time and controlled things from then on. Hard to know the impact of the frustration at the referee on performance and discipline. He should be held to account for his decision-making and would love to see what he says about the first try as it is clear he gestured time off and checked where the England players were before time on - so he was aware they weren't in position.

But...to get back level and then play so poorly is a really poor show and from then on that part of the game has to question the coach and players.

D

Deleted member 1147

In general....
2. Tackling should be round the hips then slide down. A man can't run without his legs.
But a man can offload the ball when tackled around the legs, thus letting his teammate through the gap.

D

Deleted member 1147

The tackler has teamates too
A tackle around the ankles also helps in producing fast rucks, whereas a dominant tackle which prevents the offload, also puts the attack on the back foot.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
A tackle around the ankles also helps in producing fast rucks, whereas a dominant tackle which prevents the offload, also puts the attack on the back foot.
Correct. The All Blacks are absolute masters of offloading in the tackle. Makes it really tough to stop them going forward sometimes. They obviously have to ensure their support play and handling skills are top notch.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
In general....
Regarding point 2, I remember being told, and shown, the same in 1981. Since then coaches have taken the better parts of rugby league defending and so, as others have pointed out, stop or slow down the offload. It's an evolution of the game.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It wouldn't change the result, but I wonder why England have not complained about the referee, and the decision that lead up to the first try.

Grizzly

Visit site
It wouldn't change the result, but I wonder why England have not complained about the referee, and the decision that lead up to the first try.

They're in an impossible position. They are already paying with a target on their backs - both from other teams who always want to raise their game against what is perceived as the colonial enemy and from referees. There is no action that World Rugby are going to take, so putting in a complaint just means that there is one more thing for Gauzere to hold against us next time we have to play to him.