5i Carry - Am I Still Distinctly Average?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
With my new(ish) non-s***king swing I find I can carry 175yds with my 5i (overcast, calm, warm) - and for me that is pretty good - I think. But am I still distinctly average? So many average handicappers seem to be able to hit the ball miles (I'm told) and I don't want to be average - but I think I still might be - distinctly so.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
If its any consolation to you I reckon my 5iron carry distance is 165yds.....and I'm off 7.

I couldnt give a monkeys cuss how long my dick is compared to others....its how you swing it (5iron and dick) and how good your results are that matters.

(and you are proving that by going from 11.5 to 9.9 this year)

Last edited:

UlyssesSky

Head Pro
Visit site
If you don't want to be average, try lowering your handicap to 5 while deliberatly limiting your 5i carry to 100 yards (e.g. by choking down and only making 1/4 or 1/2 swings).

Should make you pretty unique ;)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Personally, my 5 iron carries around the 190 mark.

I normally use it on our 16th hole which is a 199 yard par 3 (.... Off the yellows).

This was the result last weekend. Pitch mark was in the middle of the green, pin was at the back.

20150919_112945_zpsgjgarmql.jpg

ShankyBoy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I use a 5i to hit my par 3 at193. But, it matters not the length though, but what you do with it, comparing our handicaps! I'd lose distance to have a lower handicap any day.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
im with Nick here ,165 is about my yardage .but who cares i certainly dont, as long as i can hit it in the general direction i am aiming at then thats good enough .

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
About 195 - 200 on a good belt. Maybe a wee bit more.

Probably my least used club in my bag though. Thinking about it i cant remember hitting it at all over the last few rounds.

Crawfy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Welcome to Team Average amigo !!

What i will say is that single figures handicap is not average.

I'm off 7 and GG stats tell me my average for a 5 iron is 172yds ( and that includes roll out)

If I have a 170-180 yardage...its a 5 iron all (calm) day for me

>185 is 4 iron territory

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would say 175 carry is above average.

I'm not a big hitter by any stretch, but I'm very rarely the shortest in whatever group I'm in (apart from forum meets obviously), and more often than not the longest.

My 5 iron carries about 180.

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
With my new(ish) non-s***king swing I find I can carry 175yds with my 5i (overcast, calm, warm) - and for me that is pretty good - I think. But am I still distinctly average? So many average handicappers seem to be able to hit the ball miles (I'm told) and I don't want to be average - but I think I still might be - distinctly so.

I would estimate that's about average or above for your handicap, definitely above average for all club golfers across the board.

99problemsbutapitchaint1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
my 5 iron is about 200 but I would gladly give up some of that to hit the fcukng ball straight more often

When people trot out this line, do they actually mean it? As most golfers could hit it straighter if they did not thrash at it so when people say this over and over many different people you have to wonder, if that is the case, why not slow it down and hit it straighter.. just saying.. p.s i like to hit my 5 iron hard and would not give up 1 yard to hit it straighter.

http://blog.trackmangolf.com/trackman-average-tour-stats/.

I would have to say THE AVERAGE tour pro v the AVERAGE golfer, the average tour pro is going to be 3 clubs longer

Just had a quick peak at ladies stats and this would now be confirmed in my mind

Avearge lpga is at 94 driver speed similar to average male, if anything a little quicker and they are 3 clubs down on the PGA golfers, but obviously strike it well

Conclusion, average male golfer hits 5 iron under 160 yards

Last edited:

hamshanker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

To me i think your getting good distance 175yrd carry and say maybe 15-20yrd role depending on ground conditions id be more than happy to be hitting that distance with 5i on a regular basis... and of all the average handicappers ive played with not many hit much further regularly.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ditto the advice on looking at LPGA Trackman stats.

My 5 iron carry is 163 yards (average) according to Trackman.