5 minutes for a lost ball.......

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
Today in a Medal my mate hooked a ball into the treeline. He then hit a provisional shorter but into the same treeline.
He then went on to hit a 2nd provisional just short of the green.

The question I would like some advice on is after spending 5 minutes looking for the original ball, do you then get 5 minutes to look for the first provisional?

Thankfully we found his first ball today. But we where both interested in what the ruling would be.

Thanks in advance.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Decision 27/4
Time Permitted for Search for Original Ball and Provisional Ball

Q.Is a player allowed five minutes to search for his original ball and five more minutes to search for his provisional ball, or just a total of five minutes?

A.If the two balls are so close together that, in effect, both balls would be searched for simultaneously, a total of five minutes for search is allowed. Otherwise, the player is allowed to search five minutes for each ball.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Today in a Medal my mate hooked a ball into the treeline. He then hit a provisional shorter but into the same treeline.
He then went on to hit a 2nd provisional just short of the green.

The question I would like some advice on is after spending 5 minutes looking for the original ball, do you then get 5 minutes to look for the first provisional?

Thankfully we found his first ball today. But we where both interested in what the ruling would be.

Thanks in advance.

If his 2nd provisional was just short of the green, was this a par 3?

If so he would have been 5 off the tee wouldn't he?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, 5 off the tee. If he lost both the original ball and the first provisional, he is playing 6 with his next shot with the 2nd provisional. Up to that point he has made 3 strokes and incurred 2 penalty strokes.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Yes, 5 off the tee. If he lost both the original ball and the first provisional, he is playing 6 with his next shot with the 2nd provisional. Up to that point he has made 3 strokes and incurred 2 penalty strokes.

Not sure how many people would have 2 shots on a par 3 so he would have been looking for a hole in one!

I suppose if it was in stroke-play he had to keep going.....

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
We were playing a medal, this happened on a par 5. His third shot into the green. Which he hooked into the tree line. So hit a provisional which he hut into the same treeline about 20 yards further back.
So hit another provisional as it was a Medal.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
We were playing a medal, this happened on a par 5. His third shot into the green. Which he hooked into the tree line. So hit a provisional which he hut into the same treeline about 20 yards further back.
So hit another provisional as it was a Medal.

Cheers Paperboy, just "assumed" it was off the tee :rolleyes: [goes back to bed}