4BBB-Handicaps Question

evemccc

Visit site
I don’t entirely understand how 4BBB works, esp in terms of HCap allowance..

If (For example) one person was off 12, and his partner was off 18, how then does that correlate to Handicap allowance in a Comp? Does that mean that that Team’s handicap allowance is 15 (as an average?) or is it 12? If it was the average, would it not be beneficial for the 12 handicap player to partner with a 28 or 54 handicap player?

Is it allowed for the 12 Handicap player’s ball to be the allocated Better Ball for every shot on every hole?

I’ve seen ‘90% handicap allowance’ for some comps...what does this mean?

Thanks in advance :)

evemccc

Visit site
For matchplay :
You take the lowest handicap in the 4 ball.

Each individual receives 90% of the difference between their own handicap and the lowest player's hcap, and then take shots at the SI holes relevant to that number, eg 9 shots means you get a shot on SI 1-9.

For strokeplay, you each get 90% of your handicap, apply shots as per above, best score of the 2 man team counts on each hole.
Thanks

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does it always work out exactly the same H/C using 90% of the difference between handicaps, as it would using a 90 % of all handicaps THEN subtracting the low from high. :confused:.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
0.9 x (A-B) = (0.9 xA) - (0.9 xB)

in my experience what confuses most who are confused is that one player gets no shots...whatever their handicap...

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
No.
From what I can see, "90% of the difference" works out the same as "the difference of 90%".

Eg, 7 and 29, difference is 22, 90% is 20 (19.8).
90% of 7 is 6, 90% of 29 is 26, 26 minus 6 equals 20.
Try it using a 20h/c v 5 h/c, in 4bbb stroke play there's a 13 stroke difference, in 4bbb match play there's a 14 stroke difference

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It should be born in mind that come November 2nd the allowance will be 90% in match play and 85% in stroke play.
We play 4BBB stroke play in our winter league. It is going to have to go through the computer as the new handicap calculation is going to confuse the majority of the membership. Then throwing in an 85% calculation on top of that is going to blow their head to bits!

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Try it using a 20h/c v 5 h/c, in 4bbb stroke play there's a 13 stroke difference, in 4bbb match play there's a 14 stroke difference

But that's a different argument....you are now comparing 4BBB stroke play with 4BBB match play...which have different handicap allowances.

In match play it does not matter whether you do the 90% and then subtract the differences or subtract the differences and then do 90%. It is the Mathematical Distributive Law.

However.... if you are doing the 0.9 x handicap calculation first, and then subtracting to get the difference, you must not round at the intermediate stage.

So....(20-5) * 0.9 = 13.5 which would be rounded to 14

But (20*0.9) - (5*0.9) = 18 - 4.5 if you now round the 4.5 before doing the subtraction you get 18 - 5 = 13...this is incorrect process and you need to do the subtraction 18 - 4.5 = 13.5 before doing the rounding to 14.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Appendix C
1601374160588.png
This tells us that each individual's Playing Handicap (ie a rounded number) is calculated first. Then the difference is calculated.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Appendix C
View attachment 32556
This tells us that each individual's Playing Handicap (ie a rounded number) is calculated first. Then the difference is calculated.

I've never played this format before, but I've put my name down for our winter league which starts this w/e, and is 4BBB.

There will be a random draw each week for teams of 2. Winning team members get 2 points, 1 point if you draw.

So, just so that I get this right in my head, if for example I am off 26, get drawn with someone off 10, and we are playing 2 guys off 16 and 20, then my team-mate gets no shots, I get 14 shots (16 x 0.9), and our opponents get 5 (6 x 0.9) and 9 (10 x 0.9) shots respectively?

And in terms of scoring, it's the lowest net score per team per hole which gets recorded?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
If I have understood Rulefan's post correctly, then the 0.9 is first applied to each player's Course Handicap and then the Rounded result for each player is used to calculate the full difference. The lowest player then plays off zero.

It appears so....which is a fundamental change to the current method described in the CONGU manual which states...

"Back marker to concede strokes to the other 3 players based on 90% of the difference between the full handicaps"

Which clearly indicates you calculate 90% of the difference...not take 90% of the handicaps and then work out the difference....which will mean that there will be some instances where the actual strokes received in the match will be different under the WHS than it would have been under CONGU.