4bbb comps

billyfish

Visit site
can anyone tell me why some clubs wont allow juniors to play with an adult in 4bbb comps, just booked a comp at stand golf club for me and my son. they said that we could enter but we couldnt win any prizes. why will they take your money but wont let you win.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
No - I'm afraid that some clubs are like that. Any self-respecting committee would not charge an entry fee if they denied Juniors the chance to win.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Some clubs have silly rules like that. Not sure there's alot of point playing if you can't win. On the other hand I'dlove you to shoot the lights out and put them in that embarrasing position of not giving you the prize

billyfish

Visit site
Some clubs have silly rules like that. Not sure there's alot of point playing if you can't win. On the other hand I'dlove you to shoot the lights out and put them in that embarrasing position of not giving you the prize
although a good idea,i think we will cancel, see if we cant get a game somewhere else where they are not so petty. thanks for replying

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hmm.

I was thinking about starting a thread on Juniors.

At our club, Juniors can enter regular comps and I approve.

However, in relation to 4bbb matchplay, I'm not so keen.

Statistically, our Juniors are the fastest moving (h'cap) group. I think there are plenty of members* who are not entering certain comps because of the Juniors.

If the same players* score 40 points on a weekend s'ford and come runner up to a Junior off 22 who scores 46 points, that same member can come back the next week knowing the Junior will have been cut.
With knockouts, that's it till next year.....

I can see both sides of the story.

In relation to the O.P. that's all wrong......no argument there.

DCB

Visit site
If the Junior plays regularly and plays in competitions regularly then there shouldn't be a problem.

There are of course clubs that don't run enough Junior competitions therefore their Juniors don't have accurate handicaps.

There are Juniors that don't play in enough Junior competitions therefore they don't have accurate handicaps.

I run our Junior section at the moment and we are about to enter the busy summer months where the course will be littered with Juniors. This is the time of year when the biggest handicap changes take place as some of these youngsters live at the golf club during the holidays. To aid their handicap targets, we run additional competitions during the summer holidays to help keep their handicaps reflecting their playing ability.

Whilst I don't agree with the stance the club in the OP has taken, I can see why they might think that way. It's too easy for wee Johny to turn up with a 26 handicap he played off last September. He's grown 6" taller over the winter is now built like a brick outhouse and can smack a driver 275ds down the middle of the fairway.

If wee Johnny plays in his Junior competitions over the summer, you'd be surprised how low he could go.

It happens a lot unfortunately. the guys who play week in, week out and have correct handicaps are left trailing way down the field when the 'occassional' pitches up at this time of year. That's when I have to monitor results carefully and take appropriate action if necessary to keep handicaps reflecting their current playing ability. Not uncommon for a Junior to drop 15 shots over the summer if they live on the course and play in comps.

billyfish

Visit site
Thank you ican see the point now , it annoyed me when I asked why juniors couldnt play ,the reply was usually 'they just can't ' my son plays off 10 at a tough links and comps there are for adults and juniors. Thanks again