300+. How many of you...

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Don't panic guys. This isn't another Timgolfy yardage thing. The 300+ was just to tempt you in. :)

My question is how many of you lift your left heel on your backswing ( or for those of you who play backwards, your right heel).

I have always done it and my heel comes up about an inch when I am using a driver. I've also checked out a lot of pro swings in slow motion on YouTube - those who do include Jack Nicklaus and Phil Mickelson, those who don't - Tiger Woods, Luke Donald, Rory McIlroy.

Also from a purely technical point do you think there are any pros or cons to either?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
My left heel lifts ever so slightly on the left-side, but the right-side of it remains in contact with the ground.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Used to...Only seem to do it with my driving now, but trying to stop doing it as I feel it gives me more stability.
Are you using a driver in your profile picture, mate? ;)

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think this comes down to flexability. Certainly a negative could be loss of traction, possible slip during swing.

But if it helps you make a ful turn and you keep your balance, then nothing wrong with it.

EZprophet

Head Pro
Visit site
Paul Casey also lifts his left heel way of the ground in the backswing, and hes one of the most consistently long and straight drivers of the ball in the world.

My left heel stays down on the backswing... As long as you plant your foot back in the same place at the start of the downswing I dont see why it would be a problem.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm trying to think and I honestly don't know!!

I don't think so.

But then I try not to think much whilst swinging the club.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some say that unless you are very supple you cannot actually complete the turn unless you lift your left heel slightly. Maybe more players lift their heels than we think , it might just not be as noticeable as it is with players like Nicklaus.

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
funnily enough I was asking my coach the same thing during the lesson last night. He said it was a problem and mentioned that Nicklaus and Hogan both used to lift the left heel.

There is plenty else in my swing to worry about other than my left heel I guess :)

elliottlale

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i never thought i did until my pro told me! he said to keep it to the ground as when i lifted i was less stable and my centre of gravity moved to the right...since then i seem more consistent on the driver

timgolfy

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Too much heel lifting is probably an indication of too much hip turn - which makes the transition back to impact slower and inaccurate. I used to suffer from this - thought I was turning my shoulders a long way, but most of it was hips. Now I try to turn "against" my hips.

PS. Out on my practice 9 hole course today and hit four consecutive 295 yard drives (albeit wind assisted) on the fairway. Thank you all for you support. ;)

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I used to lift my left heel and "planting" it back down was my trigger for starting my downswing. I don't do it now because I get more torque in my backswing by keeping my heel on the ground. Also if you do lift you have to be careful that you replace it in the same position.

surefire

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Too much heel lifting is probably an indication of too much hip turn - which makes the transition back to impact slower and inaccurate. I used to suffer from this - thought I was turning my shoulders a long way, but most of it was hips. Now I try to turn "against" my hips.

PS. Out on my practice 9 hole course today and hit four consecutive 295 yard drives (albeit wind assisted) on the fairway. Thank you all for you support. ;)

How big is your shoulder turn?

Normal range of motion in terms of spinal rotation is between 30 and 45 degrees. So turning the hips is essential.

Far more likely to cause heel lifting is a limitation in hip rotation, which would mean the leg has to move when the pelvis turns.

Ronnoc1980

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Now then Tim I have a little challenge for you!

Me Vs You on the driving range with 10 balls if you can get as many as 2 past me I will pack up this game and leave the forum BUT if you don’t you have to pack up with all your big driving nonsense !!!

You game???