3 wood off the fairway

iku

Head Pro
Visit site
I just can't hit my 3 wood off the fairways and I feel like I'm missing out a lot. With a 1/2" tee I can hit it past 200 yds easily but if the ball is sitting on the ground I rarely reach 100yds and most of the times I hit it way fat.

Any tip or drill to improve? Is it worth practicing on the matts at the range?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I just can't hit my 3 wood off the fairways and I feel like I'm missing out a lot. With a 1/2" tee I can hit it past 200 yds easily but if the ball is sitting on the ground I rarely reach 100yds and most of the times I hit it way fat.

Any tip or drill to improve? Is it worth practicing on the matts at the range?

How far forward in your stance in the ball Iku?

iku

Head Pro
Visit site
Re ball position: I align the ball about 1-2" inside my left foot.

Re hitting the ground: yes most of the times I hit the ground before.

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I feel your pain iku. For my handicap, I am a relatively poor fairway wood player, so would also be interested to hear advice on hitting better shots off the deck. Lack of height is my issue and too many thins...

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
some tips here. try and see how you get on.

move the ball forward. off the left foot even.
try and sweep the ball off the turf.
to catch the ball on the up stroke. start by putting the club head an inch or half an inch behind the ball. this will allow you to catch the ball on the up.
the flat bit of the head will allow you to brush the ground. you dont really want to hit down into it like an iron.

please note: these are not pro tips. just some ways ive found to hit decent fairwoods :)

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Most problems with hitting fairway woods off the ground are due to swinging too hard. This tends to generate these problems:

Buckling and chicken winging the arms due to too tight a grip pressure.

Hanging back on the right side which makes your swing arc too low. You will then hit fat or thin if you try to recover with your arms.

Lifting up in an effort to see the result of a fast swing. This will also encourage a fat or thin shot.

Make a real effort to swing with an easy tempo and keep your arms and wrists relaxed so that you generate a wide swing arc and stop the clubhead leaning backwards. A very slightly descending blow is better.

I hope this helps you.

DavidO

Head Pro
Visit site
When I was at the range a couple of months ago, I thought I'd try the 3w off the mat!

Hit it sweet, I thought I had it nailed!!!

You can guess what has happened since then...

:)

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
This is something I used to struggle with and one of the best tips I can give is to set up in your normal position and then move back a few inches and swing at the turf noting where the club brushes the grass.

If the club brushes the turf in-line with the ball your position is correct, if you brush the grass infront or behind the ball, adjust your position and take another practice swing.

My main problem was my take away and agressive down swing which is not a good combination for hitting fairway woods. I could cream it off the tee however off the turf was a different ball game. By slowing down my tempo using a slow takeaway and then accelerating smoothly from the top rather than snatching to create club head speed I found I could hit the ball further, with less effort and more consistency.

Intel

Hacker
Visit site
It depends on the lie but generally yes.

Ok. Move the ball 1.5 - 2 balls backwards and keep EVERYTHING else the same.

A quick drill to help you hit fairway woods - While you're walking up the fairways, hit a ball up there about 50 yds at a time with your wood. Keep the setup as you would for a full shot but hit the ball within about 2 secs of taking your stance.

Of course you should be aware of other course users when doing this.

Also, when on the range, practice hitting your 3 wood 100yds, 150yds then a full swing (about 10 good shots of each before you move to the next distance).

Handicap golfers generally over swing with woods and more often than not, they swing WAY too hard at the ball. You should use the same rythym and tempo as your 7 iron. Trying to hit the ball only 100 yds should help with this.

Let us know how you get on.

BTW dont give up with 'hitting it 50 yds up the fairway' just cos you're 'spooning' them..........it will happen!!

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm normally quite good with my 3W and 5W off the deck. Some of its already been said but just to reiterate most people will swing harder than they need to. Less is definitely more so my advice is to go back slow and try to keep a smooth stroke. What helps me is that I try to visualise a backswing that is the same length as the follow through.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
to catch the ball on the up stroke. start by putting the club head an inch or half an inch behind the ball. this will allow you to catch the ball on the up.
the flat bit of the head will allow you to brush the ground. you dont really want to hit down into it like an iron.

:confused:

How can you hit UP on a ball that is sitting on the grass? LOLOL