3 putting

• Thread starter Deleted member 23270
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23270

I had two on Saturday, 3 if I include one from the fringe. What is the fix? Buy a new putter?

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
yes buy a new putter

pace control is the key for no three putts

i reckon 90% of my 3 putts are from coming up short rather than long ... I need to be more aggressive

often i think i've absolutely smacked a putt and it'll end up tap in distance :ROFLMAO:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I putted terribly this weekend. I know our greens aren't in great condition right now but struggled with pace control and making the 2-3 footers that I practice a lot which was frustrating. No confidence with them (and even shorter ones) and became a self fulfilling prophecy of missing a couple and knowing I wouldn't make any after that. More annoying as my pitching in particular, a real weak point, was really good this weekend especially yesterday and I couldn't make any of the par save putts. Going to look at what putters I have in my locker and give them a run out this week

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It could just’ve been one of those days or there might be a pattern. Work out what your ‘miss’ was so you at least know what to work on (if anything)

I spent time on practice green yesterday and left a lot short but I'm not overly concerned by it because;
  • It was afternoon and the greens are always slower after some growth, but 9/10 rounds I play are AM anyway
  • I was using a ‘matte’ callaway ball & that’s much slower/stops quicker than a regular ball
Oh and I’d just had a few ciders with lunch at the clubhouse… but I don’t think that could be it :unsure:
:whistle:

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
yes buy a new putter

pace control is the key for no three putts

i reckon 90% of my 3 putts are from coming up short rather than long ... I need to be more aggressive

often i think i've absolutely smacked a putt and it'll end up tap in distance :ROFLMAO:
I had two on Saturday, 3 if I include one from the fringe. What is the fix? Buy a new putter?

Having bought 50+ putters over the years and still struggle from 5 foot in, it isn't the putter. Yes, get fitted for something that suits you and feels good if you want to go down that road, but it is down to your skill set. Practice your alignment, pace, and all the other elements that go into making a solid putter, pretty sure it's the only way. I have seen amazing putters using £20 wands. I am practicing like mad trying to follow my own advice. Looking at hole giving me a much calmer approach at mo. Good luck

D

Deleted member 23270

Having bought 50+ putters over the years and still struggle from 5 foot in, it isn't the putter. Yes, get fitted for something that suits you and feels good if you want to go down that road, but it is down to your skill set. Practice your alignment, pace, and all the other elements that go into making a solid putter, pretty sure it's the only way. I have seen amazing putters using £20 wands. I am practicing like mad trying to follow my own advice. Looking at hole giving me a much calmer approach at mo. Good luck
No sorry, you've got it wrong. Can't be me, MUST be the putter :unsure:

D

Deleted member 15344

Guess it depends on when It is in the round

Early on - is it not being used to the green speed , early morning dew , different pace on the practise green

I had two three putts in the first 2 holes on Sunday - got the pace wrong on both occasions , greens were slower than expected

Later on - potentially the greens have quickened up due to exposure , and lots of play on the green

or it’s down to mainly poor pace control

the first putt on the first is the key

But any doubts - buy a new one

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Are the 3 putts a common theme every round, or a rare but annoying occurrence? If it's the former, get a new putter, get a lesson, or practice. If it's the latter, well that's golf!

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Always the putters fault :ROFLMAO: It happens, normally for me it's on long putts where you leave them woefully short and have a tricky 10-15 footer. For me the time to panic is when you've got a putt from 2-3' and you end up 3 putting.

D

Deleted member 23270

Are the 3 putts a common theme every round, or a rare but annoying occurrence? If it's the former, get a new putter, get a lesson, or practice. If it's the latter, well that's golf!
I rarely 3 putt. You're job on here is to help me justify buying a new putter. Do your job man!! ;)

D

Deleted member 29109

I rarely 3 putt. You're job on here is to help me justify buying a new putter. Do your job man!! ;)
It’s not jut a new putter you need.

If you’d have hit your approach closer, the chances of 3 putting would have been greatly reduced. A new set of irons will help.

To hit your irons closer you need shorter approach shots. For which you will need a new driver.

At this point you might as well buy a full set of new clubs. It’s the only logical conclusion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I'm sorry, I misread your request. In which case, of course you need a new putter. Head to Royal Blackheath GC and see Matthew Johns at the London Putting Academy. The man is a wizard and will have you sorted in no time... until the next time! ? I also believe Precision Golf now offer an amazing fitting service, if they're closer.

D

Deleted member 23270

It’s not jut a new putter you need.

If you’d have hit your approach closer, the chances of 3 putting would have been greatly reduced. A new set of irons will help.

To hit your irons closer you need shorter approach shots. For which you will need a new driver.

At this point you might as well buy a full set of new clubs. It’s the only logical could action.
@Bratty This is how you should do your job :ROFLMAO:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Always the putters fault :ROFLMAO: It happens, normally for me it's on long putts where you leave them woefully short and have a tricky 10-15 footer. For me the time to panic is when you've got a putt from 2-3' and you end up 3 putting.

Yep. Did that yesterday. On the green and had a birdie putt. Hit it to 3 feet and walked off with a bogey. Sapped any remaining confidence and the rest of the round was tentative putt after another

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Hit the shot to the green closer!
You don't need a new putter - you just fancy a new one!
2 3-putts is not a problem - especially if you were a long way away initially (in '3-putt country').
However, it might be worth acquiring a heavier headed/mallet style one for use on slow/dew-affected greens, even now. That way they both need to perform or be parked! :censored:

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
In my last ten rounds I average 4 3 putts per round, and the last 3 rounds have contained a 4 putt on top of the 3 putts. I had 37 putts on Saturday, 22 out, and 15 back. Finally made the plunge and decided a new putter may well be the answer, it sure hasn't been lessons. My main issue is leaving putts short, I'm confident once greens improve and I can apply some more structured practise things will improve, but shooting gross 80 with 37 putts is hugely frustrating.