2031 Ryder Cup Bolton or Kent?

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
Maybe old news but just reading that it's been narrowed down to Hulton Park in Bolton or the London Club in Kent

Though Hulton Park is yet to be built / completed

Nice to see new venues being looked at, though can think of a few other courses i would like to of seen

GBC

D

Deleted member 18121

Surprised about the London club.... Never thought much of the courses there at all, but I guess it's more than just the golf.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surprised about the London club.... Never thought much of the courses there at all, but I guess it's more than just the golf.

London club has hosted some tour events but I'm not sure it could cope with Ryder cup crowds.
Wonder if they would build a hotel there, was rumoured years ago. Could use Brands Hatch as the car park ?

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site

From the back tips there's some risk and reward holes and the London Club have held events her / is a stone's throw from London (if that's what they're looking for) but that'd be the same for a number of courses

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
theyre looking for the club that will pay the most for the privilege..............

from the moment the course is announced green fees go up / tee times sell out and the merchandise machine begins !!

Celtic Manor, a really good set up, still trades on having hosted the event which you can't blame them for doing.

GBC

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
from the moment the course is announced green fees go up / tee times sell out and the merchandise machine begins !!

Celtic Manor, a really good set up, still trades on having hosted the event which you can't blame them for doing.

GBC

yup theyre buying the association, prestige and future revenue streams, cant say i blame them, more the committee that ends up selecting one of them that values money above all else in the selection process

Jason.H

Visit site
Maybe old news but just reading that it's been narrowed down to Hulton Park in Bolton or the London Club in Kent

Though Hulton Park is yet to be built / completed

Nice to see new venues being looked at, though can think of a few other courses i would like to of seen

GBC
I think Hulton Park gets built iff it secures the Ryder cup. It would be a great development for Bolton should it go ahead.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Am I the only one that thinks it would be about 1000x better to have it in a Central/Eastern European country that hasn't hosted it before? Eg Czech Republic, Poland, Germany, Austria, etc...

If authorities really want to grow the game, then surely this is the way to go?

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Am I the only one that thinks it would be about 1000x better to have it in a Central/Eastern European country that hasn't hosted it before? Eg Czech Republic, Poland, Germany, Austria, etc...

If authorities really want to grow the game, then surely this is the way to go?

I'm not sure, I think there's a fine line between growing the game and taking it somewhere where there may be little interest and not much of a legacy following the the event.

You want the crowds there and crowds will generally come to support their countrymen. You also want the game to be easily accessible for those who become interested in the game as a result. For that you need lots of courses and routes into the game - driving ranges, cheap 9 holers etc. Do the countries listed have that? (I genuinely don't know by the way, would love to be told).

The flipside is that if you're ever going to get these countries growing the game then hosting an event where 24 of the worlds best players take part in an interesting format, with a much less reserved atmosphere than usual tournaments, is a sure fire way to do it!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Never got over excited about the London Club courses but you can see with the banking on some how it would be ideal for viewing but I am not sure it has enough of an infrastructure and whether the roads in and out would cope.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Never got over excited about the London Club courses but you can see with the banking on some how it would be ideal for viewing but I am not sure it has enough of an infrastructure and whether the roads in and out would cope.

The roads around it will be fine considering it’s next door to brands hatch.

The international was designed as a stadium course so they could host tournaments