2 questions for Foxholer

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
1) Should the toe of the club point upwards early on in the backswing when the club gets parallel to the ground at approx thigh level?

2) Should we cup the left wrist through impact/release?

...just wondering.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I always believed that the face should be slightly closed when it gets to thigh level, and you should have a flat left wrist through impact.

Correct me if I am wrong. :)

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
No the toe doesnt have to be pointing to the sky in the takeaway....

But i do think that it may come down to swing plane.....For instance.....In the one plane swing because you have a more bent over posture the club face will be slightly closed in the backcswing at thigh level.....It may look closed but its actually mirroring the angle of the spine...

So in actual fact its square to the spine angle...
So if everything stays the same in the downswing then you'll be square through impact....
Its explained little better here.....

[video=youtube;ddz-Pxj5WTU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddz-Pxj5WTU&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I always believed that the face should be slightly closed when it gets to thigh level

I remember years ago being encouraged to get the toe pointing directly up. Since then, that seems to have become less popular.

The way I see it (not that this is educated work, mind you:() is that IF you stood bolt upright and swung the club like a baseball bat (off a 3 foot tee!) , the toe would be pointing directly up. If you could swing with your whole body suspended in the air totally horizontal (I know it's impossible) then the toe/sole would be pointing horizontal with the ground....i.e. the face would point at the grass.

So where's the point of reference with all this?

It's got to be the SPINE, since that's what we are swinging around.

Look at our skeleton-man here. He's standing, leaning over in golf posture so his spine angle (the green line) can be clearly drawn over.

image005spinegolf.jpg

I would expect the sole of the club to match that line as he moves from his takeaway to setting/cocking the wrists.

Surely, if the toe was pointing skywards, he would have manipulated the face open during the first move?

I must have rehearsed this move 10,000 times.....I'm never going back to the "old-style" now.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks Kid.

I like that video, although I can't see me going down that route, looks a bit scary to me. I definitely seem stuck permanently two-plane.

(or knowing me, 3 planes and an extra one for luck!)

Anyway, here's another photo.

Self explanatory

Golfswingdude.jpg

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Pointing the toe directly upwards is a 'Big No Go' :lol: It should ideally be parallel with the forward spine tilt. It will then be square to the swingplane.

I like to keep the same cup in the left wrist at address to the top of the backswing so there is no unnecessary manipulation going on. Through impact the forces on the left wrist will tend to straighten or even bow it forward a little.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
^
^
^
What about on the through swing?

I try and keep the clubface square to the swingpath and my spine tilt as long as possible so that no manipulations need to be made to square it up. So, halfway into the through swing the clubface will be leaning to the right like my spine. As I lift up towards the end it will become more up and down, still matching my spine tilt. I tend to drop the club back down infront of me at the end of the swing and check that the clubface is still in a square position.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I remember years ago being encouraged to get the toe pointing directly up. Since then, that seems to have become less popular.

image005spinegolf.jpg

I think this guy has connection problems. His head bone is not connected to his neck bone and his back bone is not connected to his hip bone. Oh! hear the words of the Lord.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No the toe doesnt have to be pointing to the sky in the takeaway....

But i do think that it may come down to swing plane.....For instance.....In the one plane swing because you have a more bent over posture the club face will be slightly closed in the backcswing at thigh level.....It may look closed but its actually mirroring the angle of the spine...

So in actual fact its square to the spine angle...
So if everything stays the same in the downswing then you'll be square through impact....
Its explained little better here.....

[video=youtube;ddz-Pxj5WTU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddz-Pxj5WTU&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

This is exactly what I've been working on. Still across the line more than technically correct but better than it was. These two positions will help me get it better

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is exactly what I've been working on. Still across the line more than technically correct but better than it was. These two positions will help me get it better

Its what im working on too Homer...The good thing about this chap is its easy to follow and he has just 2 videos...1 for the 1PS Backswing and one for the 1PS downswing......

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks Kid.

I like that video, although I can't see me going down that route, looks a bit scary to me. I definitely seem stuck permanently two-plane.

(or knowing me, 3 planes and an extra one for luck!)

Anyway, here's another photo.

Self explanatory

Golfswingdude.jpg

Thats the Video im working off Dave.....Slowly but getting there.....
My swing has bits closer to that than a 2 plane swing...
Thats why it feels more natural to me.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
^
^
^
What about on the through swing?

James at a guess i would think ideally that the through swing at that same point ie. thigh high....The club head would still mirror the spine angle....
And all things being correct there would be no rising out of the posture , no early extension, and very little forearm rotation if none at all...
I would think that if everything in the through swing was a mirror image of the backswing we'd all be hitting straight shots....
Technically i know its a very hard thing to repeat.