2 for the price of 1

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bounce game yesterday and so I was trying out putting with the flagstick in. Hit a 3 footer and had the bonus of applying the associated new rule when my ball wedged against the flagstick. Holed. The way to go? Well, whether with flagstick in or out, holing all the 3 footers would be a nice change.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
When I play solo I always leave the flag in and use it as a putting aid.
I aim to hitnthe flag dead centre with enough pace to make a bit of a thud
May well do this when the new rule comes in as it gives you a bit more to aim at.

D

Deleted member 15344

I wonder how many poor putts are going to be helped by keeping the flag in. It’s such a poor rule to bring in and is just going to help poor putters - dumbing down the sport once more.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
If youbare good enough to hit the centre of the pin you are good enough to hit the back of the cup as well.

Saying that in do accept that there's a tiny statistical advantage in having the flagstick in, but I don't know the extent to which this is only delivered with the obvious situation of a putt travelling so fast it wouldn't touch the back lip!

My real concern is with pace of play and people wanting the flag in and out constantly

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have new flagsticks. The poles on them are so thick that I reckon my choice will always be out except for very fast downhill putts.

I have had several approach shots that I thought had a chance of going in until they hit the flagstick.

D

Deleted member 15344

If youbare good enough to hit the centre of the pin you are good enough to hit the back of the cup as well.

Saying that in do accept that there's a tiny statistical advantage in having the flagstick in, but I don't know the extent to which this is only delivered with the obvious situation of a putt travelling so fast it wouldn't touch the back lip!

My real concern is with pace of play and people wanting the flag in and out constantly

I think it will also help people in regards slowing the ball down , a number of times I expect the ball would past maybe to that three or four foot distance would hit the pin and stop near the hole.

And yep I’ll have the flag out but then you could see people wanting it in which adds nothing to the pace of play

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
One thing to keep in mind if you are going to keep the flag in when putting is the change of ruling reagarding ball resting against flagstick, if the ball is just resting against the flagstick with no part of the ball below the hole and you take the flagstick out and the ball drops , unlike the old rule you have to take the ball out and place the ball on lip and put out.

I learnt this from one of the experts on here.

Last edited:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
One thing to keep in mind if you are going to keep the flag in when putting is the change of ruling reagarding ball resting against flagstick, if the ball is just resting against the flagstick with no part of the ball below the hole and you take the flagstick out and the ball drops , unlike the old rule you have to take the ball out and place the ball on lip and put out.

I learnt this from one of the experts on here.

Indeed. But such an occurrence will be rare - because almost any ball touching a flagstick will already be holed under the new rule.

If you do the maths/geometry, you'll find that only in the case of a (very?) steeply leaning flagstick can a ball touch the flagstick without any of the ball being below the surface of the putting green. And even in those cases, the ball's centre of gravity will be over the green, not over the hole, so chance of ball dropping is highly improbable. Should situation arise, i suspect arguments will follow ...

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm sure one of the putting gurus ( Pelz maybe) did loads of analysis and reckoned that, for the most part, having the flag in increases holed putts. Thinking back, that may have been for chipping...

D

Deleted member 16999

I’m sure there would’ve been people who thought the rule around stymie’s shouldn’t of been changed.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have new flagsticks. The poles on them are so thick that I reckon my choice will always be out except for very fast downhill putts.

I have had several approach shots that I thought had a chance of going in until they hit the flagstick.
Amazed that anyway would sell 'thicker' flagsticks, even more amazed that anyone would buy them.

kevingopher

Medal Winner
Visit site
The ones at RND, in fact most if not all of the local courses to me, have flagsticks that are the same thickness all the way down. Places like Bowood, belfry, 2010 etc seem to prefer the ones that taper in at the bottom. Don’t ask me why they are different as I have no idea. You will have to ask the requisite course manager or committee

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Indeed. But such an occurrence will be rare - because almost any ball touching a flagstick will already be holed under the new rule.

If you do the maths/geometry, you'll find that only in the case of a (very?) steeply leaning flagstick can a ball touch the flagstick without any of the ball being below the surface of the putting green. And even in those cases, the ball's centre of gravity will be over the green, not over the hole, so chance of ball dropping is highly improbable. Should situation arise, i suspect arguments will follow ...

Yes that situation shouldn't arrive to often, but I would imagine that there will be some that don't know the rule which might well lead to some arguments.