2 degrees upright, what does this say about my swing etc

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
hit some shots on the strike mat and was told my irons should be 2 deegrees upright. what does that say about my swing or strike etc. also if i wasnt on form would this change

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
If you think about it, a flatter lie would be toe down for your swing. Potentially, this would mean the toe digs in and your shots go right(right handed). If you've got 2* upright and don't need that configuration, the heel will dig in and you'd pull the shots left (right handed).

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i'd say you might be taller than average and/or your swing is more upright than flat.

edit to add i don#'t think there is a industry standard for the lie i.e. mizuno lie is flatter than titliest, for mizunos i'd guess an average person is more likely to have it set upright

though i;m not an expert i think justone knows all about this sort of stuff

Last edited:

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm 5'10" and was fitted at Philips golf. I always assumed an upright lie was for taller players but was told it was down to swing path and body position at time of impact. Still being relatively new to the game I didn't ask too many questions

DCB

Visit site
hit some shots on the strike mat and was told my irons should be 2 deegrees upright. what does that say about my swing or strike etc. also if i wasnt on form would this change

2°upright for one manufacturer could be 1° upright for another or even 3°Upright for yet another. You need to see what the specs are for the clubs in question before making any wild assumptions.

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
ive noticed as well some "custom fitted" places just say 2 degree up right.
they give you one club to use and its 2degree upright with that club doesnt mean it going to be same all way through set!
thats why i chose the guy that does the every club much better IMO

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
ive noticed as well some "custom fitted" places just say 2 degree up right.
they give you one club to use and its 2degree upright with that club doesnt mean it going to be same all way through set!
thats why i chose the guy that does the every club much better IMO

aye i saw it on MGLs link. when i bought the irons four years ago off the shelf but i did hit on the strike mat thing and he said 1 degree upright. know its 2, will wait till ive reshafted then worry about it

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
aye i saw it on MGLs link. when i bought the irons four years ago off the shelf but i did hit on the strike mat thing and he said 1 degree upright. know its 2, will wait till ive reshafted then worry about it

thats guy i went to
just think its much better/suitable for every golfer

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have Mizuno and i am 6ft tall, 2 deg upright on all except wedges

I think Mizuno tend to be a tad to down off the peg

MGL

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mygolf.me
Guys - height has nothing to do with lie angle settings. Its just not something that can be predicted any other way than doing a dynamic (i.e. when your swinging a golf club) test.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

I wouldn't bother about 2 degrees. Your swing probably isn't that 'refined' for it to make a difference.

Makes for great talk in the bar when you have a good round that you've had them tweaked by 2 degrees..... never gets mentioned when you come in with 17pts though :D

MGL

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mygolf.me
I wouldn't bother about 2 degrees. Your swing probably isn't that 'refined' for it to make a difference.

Makes for great talk in the bar when you have a good round that you've had them tweaked by 2 degrees..... never gets mentioned when you come in with 17pts though :D

I would certainly get it done with wedges and putter - regardless of how refined your swing is/isn't.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site

bit of a sweeping statement, ive went from 21 to 11 handicap in a year. something has clicked or got more consistant or possible more refined. im not one to talk about 2 degrees upright in the bar, i use the forum for that.
im now at a stage golf wise where if i can rule out certain things that are wrong then i can try and narrow down my faults. grips, tape, club length, style of irons, shafts etc have all been done. lie is the next stage and one i hadnt considered. so if the mizuno fitter says 2 degrees upright then i will look into getting my current irons individually adjusted after ive reshafted them.
perhaps it is just me that can see the logic in getting properly fitted