2 Comps, 1 Round?

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Need a ruling here folks!

I *really* don't want to do this but am having loads of trouble arranging a singles tie and with club championships monopolising the course next week it's not looking good.

However, my opponent and I are playing together in the monthly medal. A bad idea on many levels, I know, but is there any reason, under the rules, why we can't use that round for our match as well as the medal?

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why? Because there is no point playing a Matchplay game when your not playing a match against one another.

Might as well toss a coin.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Need a ruling here folks!

I *really* don't want to do this but am having loads of trouble arranging a singles tie and with club championships monopolising the course next week it's not looking good.

However, my opponent and I are playing together in the monthly medal. A bad idea on many levels, I know, but is there any reason, under the rules, why we can't use that round for our match as well as the medal?

Yes.

You should be disqualified from both comps!

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why? Because there is no point playing a Matchplay game when your not playing a match against one another.

Might as well toss a coin.

I agree - it's just a thought and would be last resort..... seems better than tossing a coin to me. But a very bad idea, as stated. I'd imagine playing some shots with an eye on the match, others more worried about the medal and end up screwing up in both.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree - it's just a thought and would be last resort..... seems better than tossing a coin to me. But a very bad idea, as stated. I'd imagine playing some shots with an eye on the match, others more worried about the medal and end up screwing up in both.
The strategy of Matchplay would be lost.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
33-1. Conditions; Waiving Rule
The Committee must establish the conditions under which a competition is to be played.

The Committee has no power to waive a Rule of Golf.

Certain specific Rules governing stroke play are so substantially different from those governing match play that combining the two forms of play is not practicable and is not permitted. The result of a match played in these circumstances is null and void and, in the stroke play competition, the competitors are disqualified.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
33-1. Conditions; Waiving Rule
The Committee must establish the conditions under which a competition is to be played.

The Committee has no power to waive a Rule of Golf.

Certain specific Rules governing stroke play are so substantially different from those governing match play that combining the two forms of play is not practicable and is not permitted. The result of a match played in these circumstances is null and void and, in the stroke play competition, the competitors are disqualified.

Excellent - thanks for that!

Really didn't want to do this anyway! :cool:

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have had this problem twice, first time I cancelled my place in the medal and played the Matchplay instead. Second time I played the medal and then had a 2 hour lunch and played the Matchplay late afternoon.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have had this problem twice, first time I cancelled my place in the medal and played the Matchplay instead. Second time I played the medal and then had a 2 hour lunch and played the Matchplay late afternoon.

Might try the latter. We'd originally planned to play the tie instead of the medal but it turns out it's a block booking for the medal. So we rearranged but that date got cancelled for child care reasons and now we're up against it somewhat.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

Having quoted 33-1, here's a pragmatic thought. If you both agree - and tell no-one else apart from all the forummers here - to play the medal under strokeplay rules, and decide the outcome of each hole on the score achieved, you could have a matchplay outcome. Don't tell anyone else I suggested it.