12 Hole Course

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
There's a plan in place for a new golf resort on the site of an old course that closed three years ago. It's great to see something happening there.
My only thought on this is that they are planning a 12 Hole course. That's not something I'm familiar with, and I'm not sure if it's something that is at other places and how workable it is.
I'm just curious as to other people's thoughts on this.
Eastwood Estate

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
I think it’s a great idea. We’re finally throwing off a lot of the nonsense that put people off golf….outdated dress codes, joining fees, etc. Why not a different number of holes.
If you’re setting up a course but don’t have quite enough room for 18 holes, but nine would leave land unused, why not fit three more in?
I saw a pro speaking recently and he said the main problem with golf is that employed people just can’t find time to play 18 holes and if he designed a course he’d make it eighteen holes, but set out in three loops of six.

G1z1

Visit site
There's a plan in place for a new golf resort on the site of an old course that closed three years ago. It's great to see something happening there.
My only thought on this is that they are planning a 12 Hole course. That's not something I'm familiar with, and I'm not sure if it's something that is at other places and how workable it is.
I'm just curious as to other people's thoughts on this.
Eastwood Estate
He was originally planning to turn it into 9 holes when he bought it, wonder why it’s now 12. Might be good for older people who struggle with 18, last year I would play with a guy and he would always walk off early.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
12 holes, par-44 and 3250 yards. So scaled up, that would be an 18 hole, par-66 of 4875 yards. Even with the low par, mostly short holes, average length 270 yards. Unless it is designed exceptionally well, it doesn't sound very promising.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
May be they intend that the 3 extra holes are used for 'on course' practice or used when other holes are taken out to be 'rested'.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think it’s a great idea. We’re finally throwing off a lot of the nonsense that put people off golf….outdated dress codes, joining fees, etc. Why not a different number of holes.
If you’re setting up a course but don’t have quite enough room for 18 holes, but nine would leave land unused, why not fit three more in?
I saw a pro speaking recently and he said the main problem with golf is that employed people just can’t find time to play 18 holes and if he designed a course he’d make it eighteen holes, but set out in three loops of six.

9 and a short game area?

I mean what’s next.. we thing a round ball is outdated, let’s play with a mini rugby ball? Is golf in that much of a decline that we have to change the complete basics of the game? I don’t see this with any other sport.

Standard pitch, standard goal, standard team, five a Side pitch, smaller goal, half team.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
9 and a short game area?

I mean what’s next.. we thing a round ball is outdated, let’s play with a mini rugby ball? Is golf in that much of a decline that we have to change the complete basics of the game? I don’t see this with any other sport.

Standard pitch, standard goal, standard team, five a Side pitch, smaller goal, half team.

Up to a point I agree although it doesn't seem to be a unique idea https://www.englishgolf-courses.co.uk/hampshire/petersfield12hole.php

I don't see the appeal of a 12 hole course personally and would rather have 9 holes and practice facilities

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I first learnt to play on a 12 hole course in Shrewsbury (meole brace), it’s really a 9 plus 3 par 3s at the end. Was quite nice if 9 wasn’t enough and 18 too many. Funnily enough I played it for the first time in 20+ years just before Christmas.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have to say I wasn't bowled over by the original course there the only time I played it. That said I love Shiskine when I played there which is the only 12 hole course I've played.

TigerBear

Visit site
A real shame what happened to Eastwood. Only ever played it once and thought it was a great track. A par 3 with a loch or pond to the left sticks in the mind, great hole.

Think it deserves to be an 18 hole 'pay per play' given the history of the place but clearly the new owners don't believe it to be economically viable to relaunch which is another tragedy in itself for it.

Would there be a demand for a top grade 18 hole municipal in the area? I don't know but given tee off times are a nightmare just now at my own club I'd certainly make the trip over, but not for a 12 hole course.

Last edited:

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
9 and a short game area?

That's sort of my point about outdated ideas. Just because the Major thinks "12 holes just isn't cricket", and he's been club president since 1872, he'll be dead soon and youngsters won't really mind. If its a comp, play 1 to 6 twice, its not rocket science.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
How many golfers set out to play 18 holes but if the clubhouse is near to greens 13 to 16 they walk in.
One of my old courses had a 13th green adjacent to the clubhouse and for many golfers that was just fine.
The 12th green of my daughters course is the same, especially for the seniors.

I have been an advocate for 12 hole golf courses for over 40 decades.
Before the 1980's it was normal to play 18 in under 3 hours.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
How many golfers set out to play 18 holes but if the clubhouse is near to greens 13 to 16 they walk in.
One of my old courses had a 13th green adjacent to the clubhouse and for many golfers that was just fine.
As it happens my course has a convenient 13 hole short cut. The Seniors (as they go out early) often play their internal games over the 13.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Often play 11holes in a summer's evening. We refer to it as "play round the water".

It's the front 9 holes then 10 and 11 which as the name suggests circle around a lake a leave a minutes walk back to the clubhouse.

Often find 11holes is enough to scratch a golf itch. 9 isn't enough and time can be short to get the full 18.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think this is a fabulous idea, perfect for those who like the game but have time contsraints or who just find 18 holes a bit dull. Last week I didn't have time to do a full 18 on Saturday morning so cut across after our 11th to the 16th tee. 14 holes, it was wonderful and 2 of us went round in just over 2 hours. For those condeming the idea, this is not designed for the dedicated golfer, the committed golfer. There are plenty of 18 hole courses out there for you. This is offering sometihng different to the norm.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I have been an advocate for 12 hole golf courses for over 40 decades.
Before the 1980's it was normal to play 18 in under 3 hours.
I thought you were a mature fella, but not Dracula :LOL:

Back to the point, my course has a natural break at 15 holes and i'm always ready to retire at that point for a pint and bag of crisps. As mentioned earlier Shiskine is a great example of a shorter course, BUT it has a great range of holes and some real challenges that make you feel you have really played a full round of golf. An extended Par 3 with 12 holes is not particularly appealing.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As it happens my course has a convenient 13 hole short cut. The Seniors (as they go out early) often play their internal games over the 13.

Don’t get me started on this. The book prime tee times that full round players need at weekends the walk off at 10 leaving the back 8 empty!

Boils my Pi55