rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I recently joined one of the largest Buy/Sell/Swap groups on Facebook, the group seems really active with lots of people posting items they are looking to sell or people posting asking to buy items. I’ve tried to post multiple times to the group (following the same format as stipulated in the groups rules/as other posts on the page), but after 4-5 attempts to post (posts need to be approved by admin/mods) simply asking if anyone had a set of Irons for around £150:-

Looking for a good set of irons for someone new to playing golf, I’ve got around £150 to spend as still need to pick up a few other clubs to build my bag (putter, 3 / 5 woods).

Ideally would prefer hybrids in place of the longer irons where possible and it goes without saying that they need to be generally forgiving and in the “game improvement“ category.

Anyone able to help?

I’ve found that every post had been deleted/rejected by the admin/mods without any reason or message to justify why, in the end I’ve just left the group but is this the general welcome I can expect as someone new trying to get into golf (it always had a level of prestige surrounding it as someone looking from the outside in, but I didn’t think it would be as cold and unwelcoming).

If I understand you correctly, you are complaining about being unable to post about wishing to buy a set of irons and are not happy at getting the brush off. The terms and conditions are set out when you register on the forum. As I remember, you cannot post on the buy/sell part of the forum until you have posted 100 times and I believe this is to prevent people joining for the sole purpose of selling golf equipment without contributing to the forum.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If I understand you correctly, you are complaining about being unable to post about wishing to buy a set of irons and are not happy at getting the brush off. The terms and conditions are set out when you register on the forum. As I remember, you cannot post on the buy/sell part of the forum until you have posted 100 times and I believe this is to prevent people joining for the sole purpose of selling golf equipment without contributing to the forum.
I don’t think that he is trying to post on this forum, but an unrelated Facebook group.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are you really going to tarnish all of golf because of one Facebook group admin?? I don't know what group it is but they probably just have some picky specific rules you were meant to read and follow but didn't, that's all. It's nothing to do with golf in general.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The post wasn’t specific to this forum, or really the Facebook group but the general elitist type feel that some communities surrounding golf have towards new players. The Facebook group is only one of multiple examples I’ve noticed when either online or at my local course.

Effectively, when I played football, rugby, cricket and rock climbing the general communities were very welcoming, friendly, helpful and supportive, this forum aside that doesn’t seem to be the general feeling I’ve experienced with golf and it seems to have a more elitist/entitled type feel to it (cold and unwelcoming of beginners).
of these sports you metion none are the same eq wise.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm confused. The title of the thread is... - am i missing some # or pop culture reference? I read the op post and I thought it was about selling clubs, now it's about golf elitism? Seriously can someone clarify what this is all about? I don't use FB so am I missing something?

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
He edited the title, which originally was something to do with Facebook buying/selling groups.

Fair enough, still how did it get onto golf elitism? I know when it comes to tangents we are the kings of it here, but I don't see where that happened