10. Should the Masters be a major?

• Thread starter Deleted member 23270
  • Start date

Should the Masters be a major?

• Total voters

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If it moved around like other majors it would just be another golf tournament.
I like the fact it’s at the same course and we can remember the holes.
But agree the invite only needs to be looked at.
But lots of ways to qualify.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Fine with it being considered a major. Not fine with how manipulated the tournament is

Hate some of the 'Sunday pins' i.e 16th
Its so artificially manipulated to give the optimum chance of a hole in one for 'tv'
Might as well stick a clowns head and water feature on it

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm fine with almost everything about it - even the auto-invite of past winners and low world ranking cutoff for invite/qualification don't actually offend me.

phillarrow

Visit site
I like almost everything about the masters but I don't believe that such a limited invitation tournament should be classed as a major.
Personally, I'd like to keep it because of its history and heritage, but change the qualification/invitation rules.

D

Deleted member 1147

Yes of course...It's called "The Masters" for God's sake, how much more major can you get?

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
To steal a quote from Paul McCartney ‘it’s great, it’s the bloody Augusta Masters, shut up’!

So, yes from me. Probably 50% of the golfing world would choose it as the one to win (other 50% being the open of course), so for me it’s a no brainer.

evemccc

Visit site
I accept most US golfers and many non-US golfers, and some Euro golfers would choose it as their ideal tournament to win

But I think one of the main reasons it’s so high is because it’s on the same course every year…if the US Open was at one excellent venue every year, be it Pine Valley or Cypress or Pebble Beach every year then I bet the US Open would raise its popularity as the ‘one to win’ amongst many golfers. And would increase the hype/interest to viewers.

There is a lot of comfort in familiarity

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I demand that No Laying Up and other broadcasters call it the US Masters…to distinguish it from the British Masters
That argument 'holds no water', for the same reason that it's The Open and The US Open - establishment date!

wjemather

Visit site
There are changes that should be made (e.g. qualification criteria and gimmicky Sunday hole locations) but The Masters is, and should be, a major.
The PGA Championship, should not.

D

Deleted member 1147

I've heard and read some of the older players talk of how the Australian Open was almost like the 5th Major, back in the day.
So perhaps they could replace the USPGA, which is just the Yank version of our PGA at Wentworth, with the Aussie open as the 4th Major.

D

Deleted member 3432

I've heard and read some of the older players talk of how the Australian Open was almost like the 5th Major, back in the day.
So perhaps they could replace the USPGA, which is just the Yank version of our PGA at Wentworth, with the Aussie open as the 4th Major.

Totally agree, golf is a worldwide game and Austrailia has a great golf history.

Some proper golf courses as well.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
But..but...for it to be a Major the best of the Yanks need to be there and they think Australia is a County in Wisconsin....

D

Deleted member 1147

But..but...for it to be a Major the best of the Yanks need to be there and they think Australia is a County in Wisconsin....
Looking at the history, quite a few big name Yanks have played it - Palmer, Nicklaus, Watson, Spieth, Calc, Sarazen, are all past winners