1 Plane or 2 Plane?

Mattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi All

Does a 1 plane swing suit a taller golfer?

Im pretty sure that short irons im a 2 plane swinger and driver is a 1 plane?

Is there really much difference or it is more noticable for shorter golfers?

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think that 'one plane' remains on the shaft angle at addess (so its flat) and two plane starts on the shaft angle at address but lifts?

Matt Kucher is a one planer.

Havent got a scooby as to the answer to your question though!

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
No planes for me i'm afraid - was due to go skiing for the weekend today, but havent managed to fight off a a chest infection in past 2 weeks, and even ended up with an allergic reaction to the antibiotics yesterday :(

Better go and read my insurance documents

PS I use a single plane adn i'm short

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Sorry... bit of a stupid question... maybe im thinking too technical!!!

I might get a lesson on it :)

I'd say you are worrying too much about it.
You can swing perfectly well with a 1 or 2 plane swing and as long as you are swinging within acceptable parametres I wouldn't try to "fix" anything.
By all means have a lesson, but I'd suggest you focus on your fundamentals.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If you're looking for a book Jim Hardy did a book with John Andrisani the plane truth for golfers which helps you identify which style you might want to go with. Iirc if your strong and flexible able to coil and turn your sohoulders 70 degrees plus from your golfing address position then you have the option of either. If you haven't got that flexibility he recommends trying the other way. His follow up book is all right for swing fixe and faults too (plane truth masterclass or something).

He recommends 1 or the other and not mixing and matching fundamentals from each (which he identifies as differing). Golfs always been about about matching pieces together he's just presented it as 2 systems and thinks mixing and matching leads to a lot of problems and is part of why you get differing advice on the same subject.

As was said basically it's if the arms move on the same plane as the shoulders or above it. I can never quite get my head around whether its a circular argument he uses to define 1 and 2 plane swings though. He basically defines 2 plane as having the arms swung on a steeper plane and then says because the arms are swung steeper than the shoulders it's a 2 plane swing. I quite like his books though.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I try to have a "one plane" swing.
But if I start falling forwards or backwards as I'm trying to hit the poxy thing, it can become a two, three or even four plane swing in the blink of an eye

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Hi All

Does a 1 plane swing suit a taller golfer?

Im pretty sure that short irons im a 2 plane swinger and driver is a 1 plane?

Is there really much difference or it is more noticable for shorter golfers?

When you hit your wedge your SPINE ANGLE should be more bent over, the club will 'feel' like it's going up steeper even though it's effectively on the same plane that your driver is, you're simply turning your shoulders in line with your spine angle (which is more upright posture with a driver due to the longer shaft).

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had a lesson today and found out how simple the golf swing is..........next time you are at the range take your stance line up.....CLOSE YOUR EYES and swing.............The results will surprise you.

I think today i learnt to trust the swing I have

Mattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think thre reason i started to look into this is at address my hands are straight down, hanging nicely and the club sits nicely on the floor.

On slowing down my driver swing though I have noticed my hands swing out about 4 or 5 inches at impact from where there are at address.

Im therefore thinking i must be fighting centrifugal force to try and bring my handsback to where they are at adress. I thought wha am i doing this, should I just put my hands further out at address (for driver etc) and try and swing on what is probably a shallower 1 plane swing.

Short irons though seem to be straight up and down and hands are pretty muchin the same position at address and impact!

I think I am over thinking things, but I also find it interesting :)

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Your hands should be further from your body with the driver.. The short irons your hands will be say 4" from your thighs. Slowly moving further away as the clubs get longer. Up to say 8" with your driver. It may sound daft but your hand will still be in the same position inregards to your body angle. Just try bending over and let your arms hang down. Now slowly stand upright but keep your arms the same angle to your body. When you are upright your arms will be straight out infront of you. I know this is exagerated, but it show how the angle of the arms to the body has not changed, from bending to standing up.

Mattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have u noticed though if you slow a video down at impact that your hands for a driver
are about 12 to 15" away instead of 8" as at address.

Is that also normal. If so no probs :)