1 Oct 2012 - Government change rules again on age discrimination for golf clubs!

ian.cook

Visit site
As a member at Hazel Grove Golf Club in Cheshire, we have our AGM later this month and on the agenda is a proposal to abolish all discounts relating to age for senior members. This had been added in anticipation of the rulings expected from the government abolishing age discrimination.

However..... on reading the special document released a few days ago, written to give guidance to Private Clubs, the following FAQ was included...

My golf club offers membership categories that entail the same playing rights but
at different price levels depending on the member’s age, will this still be lawful?
Yes. Clubs can lawfully offer services at different prices depending on a person’s age. For example,
a private golf club can charge an annual membership fee of £500 to those under 65, but a reduced
membership fee for those 65 and over of £250, and a fee of £100 for those aged 80 or more

Suggest you print a copy of the document on the link below and hand it to your membership director, as it will stop all the arguments and heartache lots of golf clubs have had over the past 2 years, trying to get their heads around equality and age discrimination.

[url]http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publications/equalities/equality-act-publications/equality-act-guidance/age-discrimination-guide-clubs?view=Binary

[/URL]

A

Alex1975

I had no idea there was discrimination based on age at golf clubs...

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am in full support of giving discounts to those under 26 or 28, Juniors and seniors.

We were all, will be them some day. Over the course of a golfing lifetime things should generally even out. I am happy to pay full whack to know that kids can afford to get into the game, giving it a future so they can pay full whack when I am old, and therefore I can get my senior discount!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
As a member at Hazel Grove Golf Club in Cheshire, we have our AGM later this month and on the agenda is a proposal to abolish all discounts relating to age for senior members. This had been added in anticipation of the rulings expected from the government abolishing age discrimination.

However..... on reading the special document released a few days ago, ...............

Not sure what the reference to 1 Oct is?

I thought the change in Government approach was announced many months ago, and this guidance document was (finally) published about 10 weeks ago.

It must have been announced before the 1 March because I remember trying (and failing for fincial reasons not legal) to get a senior reduction that had been removed for one group in anticipation of the new rulings reversed prior to that date when the original announcement occurred.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
My club does not give reduced membership for over 65's, but many of them are 5 day members at a reduced rate. As seniors often play several rounds a week, membership is still good value.

ian.cook

Visit site
With reference to the 1st October, if you take a look at the government document the first line says "From the 1st October 2012 a private club....." thats where the date reference came from.

Rules and legislation have been flying about for many weeks and months, but this is the very latest document and should now get you your discount back.......hopefully.

Interesting that your club had already removed age discrimination subscription reductions before the government ruling was made legal....might also be a point of law for you to go back on?

Good luck

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Good post, and thanks for the link.

I'll be letting my lot know for sure.

I wonder if the government will soon be looking at the whole sex discrimination element? Namely ladies can play off red tees, some 30-100 yards ahead of men! :rofl:

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To be fair there's a good few that are better than myself - which doesn't take a great deal :whistle: Shaln't discuss further as I'm sure there are umpteen threads on pace of play.

I genuinely think that there should be a bit of a discount for young and old, encourage the teens/young adults to keep playing and not rip off those that only play once a fortnight on a Tuesday morning.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
With reference to the 1st October, if you take a look at the government document the first line says "From the 1st October 2012 a private club....." thats where the date reference came from.

Rules and legislation have been flying about for many weeks and months, but this is the very latest document and should now get you your discount back.......hopefully.

Interesting that your club had already removed age discrimination subscription reductions before the government ruling was made legal....might also be a point of law for you to go back on?

Good luck

OK - I've managed to put together my timelines now; memory's not what it was!

Oct 2012 was the implementation of the actual Act that has been under consultation for some time now. The original consultation included an exception (for private clubs such as golf ones) that was pretty clear but was clarified further in the final document. The response to the consultation back in June confirmed " An exception would allow any service provider in the public or private sector to use age to determine eligibility for concessions, discounts or benefits. It would allow retailers to offer commercial discounts, such as 10% off for all those over 65 in DIY stores or cheaper fish and chips for pensioners; and public bodies to offer benefits for particular age groups, such as free access to leisure facilities. It would also allow “associations” such as private golf clubs to offer age-related discounts to certain members."

I agree that back at the end of the 2011 it was all getting a little hyped!

As I said earlier, we discussed the revised fee structure against this back in Feb, and nothing has changed since then (other than the publication of the Guidance Notes 10 weeks ago, and the Act being passed in this month.)

As with someone else's comment in the thread, the discount was inappropriate anyway and the revised structure is better all round. I think the key issue for us was that the management initially used the pending legislation as the driver for change, rather than the appropriate fundamentals - I don't think they were alone in this (and similar issues arose around sex discrimination, Ladies sections and 'club' captains.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I disagree with all of it.

Why discount the fees for the young, or the old, purely done on age brackets?

Makes no sense.

It should be means tested, regardless of age. I know millionaire pensioners, and poor ones. I know a guy who retired aged 17, who will never need to work. Why should I subsidise any of their memberships, and yet some guys are forced to quit membership due to hardship in their forties.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
My club does not give reduced membership for over 65's, but many of them are 5 day members at a reduced rate. As seniors often play several rounds a week, membership is still good value.
you need to have 25 years as a full paying member and be aged 65 before you get reduced fees at our club. not just 65

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
seniors get the best value for money at any golf course,they pay less per year BUT are able to play seven days a week,i pay a lot more and in a good week get 3 or 4 rounds in,and still they moan.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
seniors get the best value for money at any golf course,they pay less per year BUT are able to play seven days a week,i pay a lot more and in a good week get 3 or 4 rounds in,and still they moan.
don't forget these guys must be over 65 and been paying their full fees for 25 years supporting the same club. not peeing off when the going got tough.to some other club who offered a cheaper deal like some ive heard on this forum .back in 1975 we were on strike for 17weeks with no money coming in , thats a moan.