Handicap manipulation - how to address

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Depends on the amateur comp. The pair winning the Sunningdale Foursomes (over four rounds) get £700 each. Not sure £50 each would be appropriate.
Why not. It's an amateur competition? Surely a trophy and the kudos is sufficient?

If you want big prize money, turn pro 🤷🏻‍♂️

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Depends on the amateur comp. The pair winning the Sunningdale Foursomes (over four rounds) get £700 each. Not sure £50 each would be appropriate.
I disagree.
Even more so when you’re talking that sort of money.
£50 top prize if you don’t like it don’t enter.
I would bet it won’t put anyone off playing there !

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I disagree.
Even more so when you’re talking that sort of money.
£50 top prize if you don’t like it don’t enter.
I would bet it won’t put anyone off playing there !
The Sunningdale Foursomes isn't really comparable to the average club Open. It's effectively a Scratch event, albeit Pro's are assigned a plus handicap. I can see why the prizes for that are more substantial. For normal Open 4bbb, restricting prizes seems a good way of trying to stop cheats prospering.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Sunningdale Foursomes isn't really comparable to the average club Open. It's effectively a Scratch event, albeit Pro's are assigned a plus handicap. I can see why the prizes for that are more substantial. For normal Open 4bbb, restricting prizes seems a good way of trying to stop cheats prospering.
Yes but if it’s going to happen you can’t have a two tier system because it’s Sunningdale.
I think it should come from the R&A and not expect clubs to do it.!

What the limit is is open to debate.
But imo the lower the better, it’s a sport not a moneymaking thing now that just encourages cheating.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My club is having houses built on a section of land by the course. The house builder is sponsoring an open at the end of the month, 4bbb. They are promoting it 'with big money prizes'. It's £200 for the winners, £100 for 2nd, £50 for 3rd.

My regular pp asked if I wanted to play and I told him no. With that amount, it will be won with 49-51 points. He doesn't believe anyone will score that amount. I told him I agree, but that's what will win it 😳

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
My club is having houses built on a section of land by the course. The house builder is sponsoring an open at the end of the month, 4bbb. They are promoting it 'with big money prizes'. It's £200 for the winners, £100 for 2nd, £50 for 3rd.

My regular pp asked if I wanted to play and I told him no. With that amount, it will be won with 49-51 points. He doesn't believe anyone will score that amount. I told him I agree, but that's what will win it 😳
You will have to update us afterwards.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes but if it’s going to happen you can’t have a two tier system because it’s Sunningdale.
I think it should come from the R&A and not expect clubs to do it.!

What the limit is is open to debate.
But imo the lower the better, it’s a sport not a moneymaking thing now that just encourages cheating.
Correct…£50 limit suggestion was made without any caveats of any sort - never mind for elite amateur events. That said…I have a feeling that the Sunningdale Foursomes winning amount, or some part of it, may have to have been spent in their shop…🤔

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Suningdale foursomes is not going to affect most ams.
Pros can win what’s on offer but the ams should be like everyone else if they decide to cap prizes.

Something needs to be done about the bandits and dropping the prize money is the best idea up to now.
Havnt heard a more logical one.